Water conservation should be a primary concern to all, especially when the warmer weather moves in. Water resources are not as abundant as we may think.
That being the case, consider some of the following tips for water conservation around the home.
- Hose: Aim for the base of plants because that’s where water counts the most.
- Drip irrigate
- Morning watering: Feed the garden in the early morning when water won’t evaporate quickly from the sun. Doing so will keep roots healthy throughout the day.
Kitchen Water Savings
- Washing dishes: If necessary, let dishes soak to soften leftover crud and turn off water when scrubbing dishes. Only turn on the tap to rinse.
- Reuse: The kitchen presents many opportunities to reuse water for the garden or houseplants Some examples include water from boiling eggs, steaming veggies, and leftover water in the tea kettle.
Bathroom Water Savings
- Toilet: Depending on the type of toilet, each pull of the handle can down several litres of water. The saying “If it’s yellow, let it mellow; if it’s brown, flush it down” is a well meaning, but controversial guide to preventing unnecessary toilet flushes.
- Brushing teeth: There’s no need to keep the water running when brushing teeth. Like washing dishes turn it on when you need to rinse. When left on the water is simply being wasted down the drain.
- Shower: Try and keep the time spent in the shower to a minimum.
See the Energywise website for more simple ways to save on water and on energy.
Remember: Whatever hot water system you have, there are some easy ways to reduce your energy use. It isn’t just about energy savings: if your water use is metered, every litre you save – whether hot or cold – is saving you money.
Do you need a Christchurch Plumber or require the services of a drainlayer? Richard Ilott Plumbing offers a range of residential and commercial services including bathroom and kitchen renovations, dripping taps, leaking taps, overflowing taps, burst pipes, leaking toilets, blocked toilets, roof leaks, hot water cyclinder repair or hot water cyclinder replacements – Richard Ilott Plumbing does it all!
Richard Ilott Plumbing offers a fast, friendly service. All calls are treated with urgency and professionalism, and all our work is guaranteed.
For more information see Richard Ilott Plumbing